Friday, December 10, 2010

Carte de Visite from Paris





I picked up a bunch of carte de visite (CDV) at a flea market (Marché aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves) in Paris last month. Just about all the ones I have in my collection were picked up at show or flea markets in the states over the years. I was starting to get a little bored with looking at the same photography studio graphics on the back so I was quite happy when I came across nothing but European cards. One dealer had cases upon cases. So many that I gave up after the second case. These designs are some much more elaborate than the U.S, versions.  The front photos are just as creepy. One thing I didn't know about CDVs is that they were patented in Paris by photographer Andre Adolphe Disderi in 1854. If you're planning on picking up a few, you should pay $1 - $3 dollars for basic cards. Cards depicting famous people or sports go for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment